Richie Porte attacks to take Willunga Hill
Richie Porte of BMC Racing Team won the stage to Willunga Hill and extended his lead in the overall classification
The Australian attacked from a small remainning group with 2 kilometers to go on the steep slopes of Willunga Hill and quickly got a gap on his closest rivals.
Porte, supported by teammate Rohan Dennis, finished 20 seconds ahead of Nathan Haas (Dimension Data), Esteban Chaves (Orica-Scott), Diego Ulissi (UAE Abu Dhabi) and Jay McCarthy (Bora-hansgrohe).
Defending champion Simon Gerrans crossed the line at 3'31" behind Porte and has no change of reaching the podium..
Porte secured the King of the Mountains jersey too and only needs to keep out of trouble in the final criterium to take overall victory.
He leads rival Chaves by a comfortable 48 seconds.
"To win the stage like that is great," he said. "I get the accolades up there on the podium as the winner, but I can't say enough for my teammates. Each and every one of them put me in a great position today and it's just nice to finish it off. With one day to go I'd love to win this race. I'm so happy."
"It was the hardest climb up Willunga Hill that I've had so far. I didn't want to go so early but I didn't think they would attack so early on Willunga Hill. I was in a world of pain there. But the other guys were more stuffed than I was so I think that was the perfect moment to go."
"Tomorrow's not a procession. I'm in a good position and I think I can stay out of trouble. I just want to finish it off tomorrow. I've always wanted to win this race since I raced it with UniSA. I've said it before, I'd love to have my name up there."
The final stage, taking place on a circuit in Adelaide, is mostly flat and is not expected to further influence the general standings.
1. Richie Porte (AUS/BMC Racing) 3hr 40min 13sec
2. Nathan Haas (AUS/Dimension Data) at 20 seconds
3. Esteban Chaves (COL/Orica-Scott) same time
4. Diego Ulissi (ITA/UAE Abu Dhabi) s.t.
5. Jay McCarthy (AUS/Bora-hansgrohe) s.t.
6. Nathan Earle (AUS/UniSA) +23
7. Rafael Valls (ESP/Lotto Soudal) s.t.
8. Sergio Henao (COL/Team Sky) s.t.
9. Robert Gesink (NED/Lotto-NL-Jumbo) s.t.
10. Tom-Jelte Slagter (NED/Cannondale-Drapac) s.t.
1. Richie Porte (AUS/BMC Racing) 18hr 0min 21sec
2. Esteban Chaves (COL/Orica-Scott) at 48 seconds
3. Nathan Haas (AUS/Dimension Data) +51
4. Jay McCarthy (AUS/Bora-Hansgrohe) +54
5. Diego Ulissi (ITA/UAE Abu Dhabi) +59
6. Rohan Dennis (AUS/BMC Racing) +1.02
7. Rafael Valls (ESP/Lotto Soudal) same time
8. Robert Gesink (NED/Lotto-NL-Jumbo) s.t.
9. Wilco Kelderman (NED/Team Sunweb) s.t.
10. Nathan Earle (AUS/UniSA) +1.06
King of the Mountain
1. Richie Porte (AUS/BMC Racing) 32pts
2. Thomas De Gendt (BEL/Lotto Soudal) 32pts
3. Esteban Chaves (COL/Orica-Scott) 22pts
1. Caleb Ewan (AUS/Orica-Scott) 45pts
2. Nathan Haas (AUS/Team Dimension Data) 39pts
3. Danny van Poppel (NED/Team Sky) 39pts