Tour de Big Bear Announces Awards and Timed Climbs ahead of August Festival!
The 10th Anniversary of the Tour de Big Bear cycling event is Saturday, August 3, 2019
Organized by the Big Bear Cycling Association (BBCA) and held in the high country of Southern California’s San Bernardino Mountains, road cyclists of all levels escape the summer heat, cruise alpine roadways, ascend high mountain passes like Onyx Summit (elevation 8,443 feet) and circumnavigate Big Bear and Baldwin Lakes. With scenic and challenging high-altitude course options, professional-style racing support, and several days of cycling-oriented events, it’s no wonder Big Bear Lake has become known as the “Cycling Capital of Southern California.”
Photo: Freddie Rodriguez and his fan club at the Tour de Big Bear!
Tour de Big Bear is a timed event and includes the popular King and Queen of the Mountain Race Segments; prizes are awarded to winners of these competitive events. All registered riders receive a goodie bag, custom-designed finishers’ medal, and a high-performance, technical shirt.
Each Tour de Big Bear route is staffed with two course marshals, numerous nutrition/hydration aid stations, first aid attendants, and rider safety and repair vehicles. The Tour de Big Bear aid stations are noted in cycling circles for being some of the best in the country. Snacks include bacon, ribs, avocado toast, popsicles and a chocolate fountain, plus nutrition sponsored by Science in Sport endurance nutrition products.
Tour de Big Bear Routes for all abilities of Cyclists and their Families
10th Anniversary Tour de Big Bear Fun Ride – 10k
Tour de Big Bear – 25 miles –1,300 feet of climbing
Big Bear Valley Tour – 50 miles – 3,700 feet of climbing
The Grand Tour – 70 miles –5,600 feet of climbing
The Climb – 106 miles –9,550 feet of challenging climbing
Gran Fondo – 109 miles –10,000 feet of climbing
Tour de Big Bear Weekend Events
BBCA hosts a two-day cycling expo that includes 40+ cycling vendors, a complimentary bike valet for registered riders, entry into the Beer Garden, participation in BBCA’s famous raffle, and live entertainment during Saturday’s festivities. In addition to the Tour de Big Bear and cycling expo, during the week prior to the event there are numerous scheduled altitude acclimation rides as well as a fun poker run. Rounding out the weekend are organized free recovery rides on Sunday, August 4, 2019.
2019 Tour de Big Bear Award Structure
1. Lakeview Sprint – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
2. Haulin’ the Mail – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
3. Achin’ for Bacon – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
4. “Dump it” Sprint – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
5. Summit Sprint – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
6. Pumpin’ for Popsicles – 1st place finisher wins = $100 Men / $100 Women
Onyx Assault – 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners
1. Cash prizes
Men $200, $150, $100
Women $200, $150, $100
2. Free Entry for 2020 for 1st – 3rd
3. 1st place – Winners Jersey 1st place only
4. Plaque on the Perpetual Trophy 1st place only
1. Youngest Rider – Youngest age in each category (10k, 25, 50, 70, 106, 109) Men and Women combined for each category = 6 winners
Winners Jersey – each category
2. Course Marshals Pick – Voted by Course Marshals or Volunteer Staff to be the winner
Winners Jersey – 1 winner
3. Lottery Pick – Random rider plate number
2019 TdBB Jersey
4. Thursday Night Glow Ride – Best Bike
Winners Jersey – 3 winners
1st place = $50 gift certificate
5. Friday Poker Ride – Best Hand
Winners Jersey – 2 winners (one for each ride – 4pm ride and 6 pm ride)
1st place = $50 gift certificate
6. Social Media – Most “liked” post about the TdBB. Contest ends 3pm Saturday, August 3rd.
1 winner = $100 cash
7. Craig’s Crown – Largest club signed up on Active
Plaque on Perpetual Trophy
Crown for each member of the club
Register Now and Save!
For more information, including registration details visit www.TourdeBigBear.com